Tuesday 5 May 2009

Finished opening and Evaluation

Finished Video and Evaluation


1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
My media product uses the conventions of real Film Noir by using the character styles that you see in typical film noir, similar location styles, lighting, narrative, use of shots, editing methods etc.Although my media product uses them in a more modern style, the desired effect is still maintained by using similar methods to contemporary film noir. By following such genre stylistics, I have created a more up to date film noir, or "neo-noir". By using similar characters as in previous productions like "Touch of Evil" (1958, directed by Orson Welles), I have included a femme fatale and a male protagonist for her to twist to her own advantage and then deceive. By using low lighting and dirty locations, I have created a visual image of the mood represented, similar to "Double Indemnity" (1944, directed by Billy Wilder). Also the costumes and props in my product are basic like in most film noirs, the use of voice overs to show the characters thoughts, which is a very common occurrence in film noir, music to represent the mood is also used in my product and is also a typical film noir trait. One of the more obvious things that defines my opening as a film noir is the similar narrative, the ideas of love, betrayal, money, gangs and crime are all included in my product and are all part of the genre characteristics. Overall I believe my product uses and update the noir genre.
2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?
My media product represents a few social groups. The "Mr. Big" character is represented as a dark shadowy character and represents the darker side of life in crime. The femme fatale is a attractive and mysterious woman, the male protagonist is your average working man led into a dark life. By using lighting and costumes we have created these characters effectively and by using locations to create a mood and atmosphere that fits the character and genre style.
3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
Smaller film companies are more likely to distribute my media product because it is not a large production and is not to a high enough standard to be sent to a major company to be distributed. Unless my product was a large success, it would initially only be seen at film festivals and independent cinemas, which would only draw in a small audience. If my product was to be broadcast on television, it is most likely that it would be on late at night and on a smaller channel like filmfour or skyindepenedent movies.
4. Who would be the audience for your media product?
I believe that my media product would have a wide audience, from the age of 15 to 25, the main cinema going audience. I believe this category of audience is appropriate because of the characteristics of my product. The idea of gangs and crime appeals more to a younger audience because of the excitement in the stories and characters used. Also I feel it would be aimed more at a male audience because of the use of the female character as a seductress and that men are more likely to like more violent and aggressive or powerful films. I think that the product would be rated a 15 by the BBFC which would obviously limit the younger audience. I think it would be a 15 because their is some violence and content may be inappropriate for some younger views, also that the storyline may be too complicated for a younger audience anyway and would not attract them to come and see the product. I think because the product is not a major production, only an active cinema going audience would go and watch the film because it would not be widely distributed, it would have no marketing campaign and would be shown only in small independent cinemas. Also the audience would probably be a more sophisticated audience as the style and genre of the film is not easily understood and may appeal to higher members of society.
5. How did you attract/address your audience?
I think by using younger talent in the product may attract younger viewers to view the product, and by using a strong female character I have targeted a larger male audience. I have also attracted a larger male audience with the story of the product, violence; crime and money are topics that seem to interest men more than women in cinema. I think my product also appears to a younger audience because of its fast pace and more modern music.
6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
Technologies I used in the initial research stage like: the internet, blogs, YouTube etc, where very useful in the process of planning and finding out information about film noir and how to go about creating a mixture of contemporary and modern features. Blogs allowed me to get a look at what some other people had done and give me some initial ideas on how to make a good product. Other technology I used in the planning stage was: anima tics, windows media player and msn messenger. The animatic software allowed me to put my storyboards onto a computer so I could edit them and see in rough how my film noir would flow and work out. Msn messenger allowed me to communicate with my group members allowing us to progress through pre-production work from home as well as college, and windows media player allowed me to try out some music for our piece and play small video files like our animatic to see if it works. Technology I used in the production was a Sony DV camera, this allowed me to film the opening, I have developed new knowledge all through the year on how to maximise the cameras performance and get the best results out of it. I also used rifle microphone's to record any dialogue that’s in the opening, tripod which was used to make using the camera at height easier and much smoother. Finally, adobe premier pro, which was the editing software we used, allowed me to put all of the filming together and add the music, titles and effects that we wanted on our opening.
7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
I feel I have developed my skills in all areas of production since the preliminary task. Around the camera, which was my main job, I feel that I have gained many new skills. I think since the preliminary exercise I have improved my framing ability, and have now got the ability to remove unnecessary space from my shots and centre the important bits and incorporate them into the rule of thirds. Also following the 180 degree and 30 degree line rules to improve the quality of my shots and make the continuity work better. I also feel that more detailed planning allowed me to get better results. Detailed storyboards and location maps allowed me to consider shot types and durations before the shoot day. Also doing all of the pre-production work allowed me to make sure that everything was prepared for the day of the shoot and have a back up plan in case something went wrong on the day. For the preliminary exercise we did not have much planning time and it shows in the final product, in contrast the film noir product had more planning and preparation time and was of a much higher quality. Also the content of my products have improved, I am now able to use editing, cinematography, mise-en-scene and sound effectively to create meaning more effectively than in the preliminary exercise.

No comments: